TRIPOLI GRAND PRIX
TRIPOLI GRAND PRIX -
Legendary Regularity Classic Cars Race
Future Legendary Classic Cars
TRIPOLI GRAND PRIX anticipated the extra-continental concept of car racing and it was one of the most exciting moments in motor racing history.
Two families, one from Brescia and one from Tripoli friends since generations, supported by the Automobile Club Libya, in recent years, first prepared the project, then defined it in details ready to start but.... in 2011 events stopped the country and now we are waiting to give life to this dream as soon as possible.
History of Tripoli Grand Prix
Until 1934 the race was held in the streets of the city, along a route of 71.10 km, on the occasion of the eighth Grand Prix, was inaugurated the new Circuit of Mellaha.
For these last editions the prize was 80,000 Italian lire.
Mellaha circuit, 13.14 km long, was inaugurated on May 6, 1934 and was located near Tripoli in the oasis of Tagiura, near the salt lake of Mellaha.
The race ran for 15 laps. For the races between 1933 and 1938 there were no restrictions on the weight of the cars and on engines capacity, the circuit was considered the fastest in the world and the track was able to develop average speeds of 200 km per hour in the fastest lap.
German cars in the second half of the 1930s dominated the Grand Prix.
The Italian automotive world, to counter German cars domination, put a limit to Engine capacity fixed to 1.500 cc.
In spite of these restrictions, in 1939, Hermann Lang’s Mercedes W165 won again.
In 1940 only Alfa Romeo and Maserati participated; Nino Farina won on an Alfa Romeo 158.
With the outbreak of World War II the race was no longer held and Mellaha circuit, which was located in the area of an Italian military airport built in 1916 (now Mitiga Military Airport), it was dismantled after 1945 until the demolition of the covered structures of the racetrack.